Friday, July 6, 2007

Crazies part II- July 4th

So, thus far I had maintained the dillusion that at no point in pregnancy would I become that crazy, hormonal pregnant woman you see on t.v. who yells and screams and cries about nothing and makes her husband run for cover. I thought, surely I am mild-manored enough naturally that I will be an exception to this side-effect of pregnancy and will maintian my cool composure all the way through. That was until our Air Conditioning stopped working on the 4th.

We went to a BBQ and had a nice time hanging out with friends and eating good food (watched everybody else drink beer...), but at the end of the day I started getting a really bad headache. I had been a little ("a little") cranky that morning and Chris and I had managed to argue about what to bring to the BBQ, where to park at the grocery story, and a number of other hugely debatable things. By 7pm I was ready to go home and Chris had some things to do at the house, so we headed homeward.

By the time we got home, my head was pounding. Chris went outside to do a little yardwork, only to come in 10 minutes later to tell me that a little tree had grown by the a.c. unit, and when he pulled it out it severed a wire and the a.c. was now broken. All of a sudden, the flood gates opened and I was yelling at Chris (obviously this was all his fault), crying hysterically, and moaning about how I would die overnight of heat exhaustion and that it would cost us millions of dollars to have someone fix the thing on July 4th. Then I locked myself in my bedroom.

Now, I knew I was acting crazy, but that really didn't matter to me at that moment. Luckily, Chris steered clear, called our A.C. people, and they came the next day to replace the wire. (A fix that cost $100, not a million). I do feel humbled by the experience and now realize that I am not above being "that crazy pregnant woman." I guess it's all part of this whole rollercoaster of becoming a parent. And luckily, Chris still loves me. :)

Love,
Looney Laura

1 comment:

tessa said...

I think I'd freak out if our a/c went out too, and I'm not even pregnant :) It's amazing how people survived pre-a/c, automobiles, and email, right?